Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Celebration of...


Girls.

I was born to be a girl-mama.

Now, I know, I know. My boy-mama friends tell me that life is better parenting a boy. That boys love their moms and boys are special. And I also have the sixth sense knowing that I will be the mom of a boy in the not-too-distant future.

But let me tell ya. I know a thing or two about girls.

And I love them.

There are days when Abi is held hostage by her ovaries, like the rest of the female race... when nothing is good enough, when tears flow from not being the first one out of the van, scratchy underwear, or other random causes. But there are also times of giddiness that only a girl's laughter can bring. I love knowing that regardless of the sex of the rest of my children, I am guaranteed a front row seat to at least ONE of their wedding plans, childbirths, and parenting journies. I love it that as her mom, there will come a time when I will be the only person on earth who "gets" her... woman to woman.

And I love it that she's so durn cute. (Yes, durn... it's an Alabama thing.)

For those of you who have daughters, this is a post to celebrate their girliness. For those of you with boys and no girls, this is to give you a glimpse into the world of pink.
And for EVERYONE reading, this is a shameless plug for my favorite girl of all time. Abigail Ruth Elaine.

Girls come out with three definite things.
Drama.
Beauty

and the ability to wrap her Daddy IMMEDIATELY around her tiny finger.

As she grows, she will quickly develop the fine art of:
attitude,

luxury,

and relaxation.

She will quickly learn to communicate (often things you wish she wouldn't communicate to others...)

and she especially loves telling boys what to do.


She is innately domestic


...nurturing

...and complicated.

She's a rock star,
a princess
and a hopeless romantic.

So, expect sassiness,
LOTS of friends,
and frequent visits to her fairytale world.

But most of all, be ready for HER. In all of her glory.

One of my favorite days of all time... I was lying on an table, having THE ultrasound done. The technician monitored our baby's lungs, heart, brain... measured the head, length... guessed the weight.
And then the question. "Do you want to know what you're having?"

UM, HELLO?

I grabbed Rod's hand.

"It's a girl." My heart lept.

Six years later... it's still leaping.

I love you, little Abigail. You make your Mom very happy.


Every single day.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! I think you just made all the boy-moms want a little girl! Sniff Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I had 2 boys first, I thought the same thing..but then came my sweet girl Ava Mae. She's only 3 months now, but I can sense a different bond..both are wonderful, but there is something so sweet about little girls. But boys definitely LOVE their Mama like nothing else. Can't wait to read future Mama's boy blogs. ;)

    ReplyDelete